State Bar Defense & Ethics Attorney
Erin Joyce has extensive experience in State Bar investigations and disciplinary proceedings, plus over twenty five years of civil litigation practice. She chose a career in law because of her deeply held belief in justice and her natural desire to advocate for the underdog.
Erin was admitted in 1990 and practiced for nearly eight years in an intellectual property boutique before joining the Office of Chief Trial Counsel as a prosecutor for the State Bar, from 1997 through 2016. Erin has almost twenty years of experience handling all aspects of discipline cases against attorneys in State Bar Court, from the filing of the complaint through trial and review. She has personally tried dozens of State Bar trials and several appeals. She has a comprehensive understanding of how State Bar investigations and proceedings unfold. Moreover, she has been involved in licensing matters for other professionals, such as EMTs and paramedics.
Before going into private practice, Erin served as Chief Special Investigator for the Los Angeles Fire Department, as a prosecutor for the State Bar of California, and as a lawyer for multiple private practices.
State Bar Discipline
Moral Character Determination Proceedings
Reinstatements before the State Bar Court
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
Southwestern School of Law, Los Angeles, California
J.D. – 1990 (first in class)
B.A. – 1987 (history with certificate in business administration)
UCLA, Los Angeles, California
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Small Firms and Sole Practitioners Section, Vice-Chair
- Professional Responsibility and Ethics Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Delegate to the Conference of California Bar Associations
- Association of Discipline Defense Counsel, Member
- Association of Discipline Defense Counsel, Chair, Law Committee
- California Lawyers Association, Small Firms and Solo Practitioners Section, Member
Publications & Programs
- State Bar Ethics Instructor, 2003 through 2016
- Program speaker at “New Rules for the Small Firm Practitioner,” Eastern Bar Association, January 17, 2019
- Program speaker at “New Rules of Professional Conduct,” Los Angeles County Bar Association, January 31 2019
- Program speaker at “Avoiding the State Bar Discipline System,” State Bar of California’s Solo and Small Firm Summit, June 21, 2012
CONTACT ERIN JOYCE
REPRESENTING CLIENTS THROUGHOUT ALL OF CALIFORNIA
When you get a letter from the State Bar, don’t go it alone! You need competent, experienced counsel to respond to the State Bar at every stage. Your license is at risk, so ensure you have the best representation from a former State Bar prosecutor before sending any response to an investigator or responding to formal charges leveled by the State Bar. You cannot make an informed decision without good advice. Call Erin now.